There is a new, rather wonkish, research journal entry up, Validity versus reliability in strictly structured interviews.
- Originally published, April 25, 10:04 pm, more because I’d archived a number of articles than because any of them really rose to the level meriting an issue.
- April 25, 11:47 pm:
- At last, something interesting: “North Korea’s main nuclear test site has partially collapsed under the stress of multiple explosions, possibly rendering it unsafe for further testing and leaving it vulnerable to radiation leaks, a study by Chinese geologists has shown.” Which might partly explain the country’s announcement that “it would stop testing nuclear weapons at the site ahead of Friday’s summit between the country’s leader, Kim Jong-un, and the South Korean president, Moon Jae-in.” (North Korea)
- April 26, 12:15 am:
- Brexit just keeps getting more interesting. The Northern Irish Democratic Unionist Party, which is part of the governing coalition, has threatened to bring down Theresa May’s government if Northern Ireland is kept inside any sort of customs union with the European Union. Such a customs union seems needed to avoid a hard border with the Republic of Ireland and such a hard border would undermine Irish peace. I’m guessing Brexit will collapse under irreconcilable imperatives.
- April 27, 1:35 am:
- Donald Trump admitted that Michael Cohen represented him in the Stormy Daniels matter.
- A jury convicted Bill Cosby of sexual assault.
- April 27, 12:34 pm:
- When I endorsed Brexit, I mostly did so out of a greater repugnance for neoliberalism than for authoritarian populism. Now, as I watch all this move forward, I suspect above that the Brexit effort may “collapse under irreconcilable imperatives.” I have, until now, however, failed to find an article that really pulls together an explanation of why the border between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland is such a problem for Brexit. Now, Michael Bloomberg has what is labeled an ‘opinion’ piece that goes a long ways toward pulling that all together. This looks pretty straight to me. Bloomberg, of course, favors neoliberalism where I remain opposed. But the risk or return to violence between Northern Ireland’s Catholics and Protestants clearly isn’t the answer to what I see as the sole legitimate authoritarian populist grievance, that of being left behind by so-called “free” trade.
- I was waiting for this: Elie Mystal explains how, in Donald Trump’s phone call to “Fox and Friends,” he demolished two of his own legal defenses.
Kyle Smith, “Amy Chozick Exposes Hillary’s Groveling Press Corps,” review of Chasing Hillary: Ten Years, Two Presidential Campaigns, and One Intact Glass Ceiling, by Amy Chozick, National Review, April 24, 2018, https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/04/amy-chozick-chasing-hillary-review-media-bias-display/
Charles J. Sykes, “But Gorsuch! Does Trump Even Understand Judicial Conservatism?” Weekly Standard, April 23, 2018, https://www.weeklystandard.com/charles-j-sykes/trump-angered-by-7th-circuit-rebuke-on-sanctuary-cities
Brent Kendall, “Judge Rules Trump Administration Must Continue DACA Program,” Wall Street Journal, April 24, 2018, https://www.wsj.com/articles/judge-rules-trump-administration-must-continue-daca-program-1524624398
Elizabeth Redden, “‘Suspect’ California University Shut Down,” Inside Higher Ed, April 23, 2018, https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2018/04/23/suspect-california-university-shut-down
Justin McCurry, “North Korea nuclear test site has collapsed and may be out of action – China study,” Guardian, April 25, 2018, https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/26/north-korea-nuclear-test-site-collapse-may-be-out-of-action-china
Steven Swinford, “DUP threatens to bring down Theresa May’s Government if it crosses Customs Union red line,” Telegraph, April 26, 2018, https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/04/25/dup-threatens-bring-theresa-mays-government-climbs-brexit/
Elie Mystal, “Trump Goes On Television, Destroys Two Legal Cases, Will Blame ‘Fake News,’” Above The Law, April 26, 2018, https://abovethelaw.com/2018/04/trump-goes-on-television-destroys-two-legal-cases-will-blame-fake-news/
Philip Rucker, “Trump says for first time that Cohen represented him in Stormy Daniels case,” Washington Post, April 26, 2018, https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-says-for-first-time-that-cohen-represented-him-in-stormy-daniels-case/2018/04/26/43c48962-4951-11e8-827e-190efaf1f1ee_story.html
Amy Davidson Sorkin, “Trump’s Stormy Morning on ‘Fox & Friends,'” New Yorker, April 26, 2018, https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/trumps-stormy-morning-on-fox-and-friends
David Montero, “Bill Cosby conviction: Accuser praised as ‘the Joan of Arc in the war on rape,'” Los Angeles Times, April 26, 2018, http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-cosby-trial-verdict-20180426-story.html